Wear a Life Jacket
Always wear a properly fitted, Coast Guard Approved Personal Flotation Device.
Share the Waterways
Follow the “rules of the road” and share the waterways with other water crafts.
Don’t Booze On Board
Boating, paddling and drinking don’t mix, so stay sober and stay safe.
Take Photos, Leave a Wake
Be a good steward of the water, taking photos and leaving just a wake.
Watch the Weather
Dress for the weather and be aware of potential storms and changing weather conditions.
Let a close contact know about your plans or share your float plan with someone who is staying on land.
RULES OF THE ROAD
SHARE THE WATERS WITH OTHER WATER CRAFTS
- All vessels STAY CLEAR of freighters, barges and dredging operations.
- Paddlers must STAY CLEAR of and defer to power-driven craft.
- Paddlers should STAY OUT of the middle of the channel.
- Paddlers should only cross the channel in a straight line or 90-degree angle.
- Small power craft DEFER to larger power craft, or less maneuverable craft.
- Small power craft should use the middle of the channel.
- All craft DEFER to sailboats under SAIL.